Friday, July 31, 2009

Ashley's Salsa

Hey All! Here is a recipe I came up w/ the other day for Ben and I-- Its really simple and really good! I have experimented w/ several different recipes for Ben and he says this one is his favorite!

So if you crave some of your South Texican foods like we do- you will love this!
And if not, well indulge me because I want to record this now so I don't forget what I put in it :)


Ingredients:
3lbs plum tomatoes
one fresh jalapeno (or a whole jalapeno if you are brave)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 TBSP cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1-2 limes, squeezed
EVOO
small handful of cilantro

Directions:
First preheat the oven to 400*F. cut plum tomatoes into halves or quarters, whatever you prefer. and place them flesh down on a greased baking sheet. Cut the jalapeno in half and place it seed side down on the baking sheet. Only use as much as you can handle...we used a whole jalapeno and it was REALLY REALLY hot, but Ben likes it that way. I would probably use half a jalapeno if I were making it for someone besides him.
Place the garlic cloves on the baking sheet w/ the tomatoes and jalapeno and roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes. (I would take the garlic out after 30 min. though)



Once roasted, let the vegetables rest, then tranfer the vegetables to a blender or food processor. Add about 1 tbsp of EVOO and all the spices listed above. I add some extra garlic powder to the mix too b/c I like a lot of garlic! Toss in the cilantro & squeeze in the lime and blend to your hearts desire!

Add extra salt & pepper to taste.

It should turn out a lot more pasty than normal salsa- more of the consistency of a pesto. We ate it with some Kashi TLC crackers & w/ chips and it tasted great w/ both!

It good hot or cold and will serve about 2-3 people.


Hope you enjoy!









2 comments:

-Erin said...

Trying this tomorrow with some stuffed bell peppers!

Rhonda said...

I'm going to try it..looks great and the pictures are so good of the food!