Friday, August 13, 2010

Shrimp Stuffed Poblano Peppers




I have had it in my head for the past few days that I really wanted to make some shrimp stuffed poblanos--I browsed several recipes online & although they looked tasty, none of them really seemed to fit with what I was desiring in my head.   I decided to try my hand at putting into action all the flavors that were floating around in my head, and here's what I came up with:

Shrimp-stuffed Poblano (the shrimp stuffing overflowed onto the side) paired with bulgar wheat & roasted red bell pepper sauce....deeeeeeelish.

It ended up being a really delicious meal--Ben & I both had pretty satisfied tummies in the end.  Always a desirable thing.

Here's what you do (ingredients in bold):

Heat oven to 350*

Char two poblano peppers over a gas burner or broil in the oven, until blackened on all sides.  Place the poblanos in a brown paper bag to rest for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add 1-2 cloves minced garlic, stir for about 1 minute.  Add ~1/2 lb small salad shrimp to the garlic & cook until shrimp is pink.

Add either 1/2 cup light sour cream (can substitute 1/4 cup of low fat milk & 1/4 cup of light sour cream) to the shrimp and continue stirring.  Pour a small amount of the melted sour cream into a bowl and mix in 1 tsp. corn starch or flour.  Stir well, and then add this mixture back into the skillet.  Stir until thick, reduce heat to med-low.  Add 1 tsp. basil (fresh is best) and 1/2 tsp of italian herb seasoning, stir until well blended.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  *I also add 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes for a little kick*

Remove shrimp & sauce from heat and pour into a medium mixing bowl.  Add 1 cup fresh spinach, 1/2 of a yellow squash (diced),  3-4 sundried tomatoes (cut up), and 4-5 pitted kalamata olives (diced) to the shrimp mixture, mixing well.

Remove poblanos from paper bag, deseed and cut out an opening big enough to allow for stuffing the pepper. Place poblanos in a small baking or casserole dish & spoon the shrimp mixture into each of the peppers and crumble queso fresco (or feta) over the peppers.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Serves 2.  Pair with bulgar wheat, rice, or quinoa.


Enjoy.

2 comments:

Tobin and Erin said...

But what about the roasted red bell pepper sauce? Is that something you made from scratch too?

The Carters said...

Erin,

Yes I did, sorry I skipped the explanation of that one :) basically, I just roasted a red bell pepper & a yellow squash & pureed them in a mixer w/ basil, oregano, salt, pepper & garlic! easssy peassy :)