Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I know you all want pictures of the new casa, but....

it wouldn't be very pleasing to your eyeballs at the moment....you'd think we survived a tornado in here. yes, an indoor tornado.  


Sooooo instead I am going to talk about Community Supported Agriculture, or CSA.  My friend Rebekah wrote about it here. And she doesn't know it yet, but she's the one who got me thinking about this whole CSA thing.  {Thanks Rebel}  


credit



Local Harvest describes CSA as stated below,

"Over the last 20 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer. Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season."


Here they site advantages for the farmer & consumer



Advantages for farmers:
  • Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16 hour days in the field begin
  • Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm's cash flow
  • Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow
Advantages for consumers:
  • Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits
  • Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking
  • Usually get to visit the farm at least once a season
  • Find that kids typically favor food from "their" farm – even veggies they've never been known to eat
  • Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown





I have been hoping and dreaming of becoming part of a CSA for over 7 months now & have been sadly disappointed to have none in my local area---until now!!  The one thing that has triumphed over my disappointment of moving away from my beloved HEB is the excitement of having a CSA.  That trumps all other food venues. Hands down.  


I signed up last week for my share & was even more excited to find out that several mil spouses from my base have signed up as well! {That's going to make picking up my food a lot easier}  No 40 minute drive for me!  My first share will be ready around the first of April--I can't wait!  I'll definitely be posting an update later on how it's working out, but for now...




Check out www.localharvest.org to see if there is a CSA in your area!  Support local ag & eat the freshest, most yummy, good for you fruits and veggies E.V.E.R.





2 comments:

Erin Bolton said...

No CSA in my area...sad. But there IS a farmer's market! Buying fresh & local works for me.

Do you happen to have an opinion on raw milk, miss nutritionist? I have been reading up on it, and it seems more and more like the homogenized milk we regularly drink is just not as good for us.

Rebekah said...

Yea! I love CSA's. Sadly I can't sign up for the one I did last year because I don't know how long I will be in Dallas. I loved the adventure of cooking with my produce though...I will miss that!