Monday, August 10, 2009

On Mission with the Lord

On Thursday of last week, a marine who graduated high school with my brother in San Antonio was killed in Afganistan by a bomb, along with three others.

It broke my heart to hear the news from my mom the other day, I guess it just hit too close to home, now that Ben is in the military, and being that my family knew this godly young man.

But I was so moved by the news article I read about him, that I had to share...one to ask for your prayers for his family, but also just to recognize such a godly, faith-filled young man!

Travis Babine was no more than 20 years old and was in Afganistan with his troops, fighting and defending freedom, but also sharing Jesus with his buddies. He held Bible studies for the guys because it was hard to get a chaplain to the area that they were in! How awesome is that? His mom, also shared in the interview, that his favorite Bible verse is Isaiah 6:8,
"Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?' Then said I, ‘Here am I; send me."

Travis was sent by the Lord into the military and into the battlefield. He knew 100% that this was where God had him, and its obvious that God was using him greatly there, for His glory.

I am so thankful for his bravery and his willingness to follow the Lord where He would send him. I know that this is why Ben is in the military too, along with several of our friends. The Lord has sent them into the military, it is their mission field. Thank you soldiers, for your willing spirit, bravery and obedience to the Lord.

If you want to read more about Travis, you can go to the article I referred to above.

Its hard for me to read these things sometimes, knowing that Ben could be put in very similar situations, but thank God that Travis knew Him! And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose. Travis is with his Savior now- praise God!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh Ashley, how I was blessed by your attitude of trust in the Lord for even the worst things that we could ever imagine. Travis was indeed a mighty warrior for the Lord and then for his country. Thank you for sharing this.. I wish I could send it to Mrs. Babine.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hello Ashley,
This is Alice Babine, Travis' mom. I found your blog today, and am blessed to read your thoughts and comments. Thank you for sharing! I see a follow up comment by Rhonda (Norville); is she your mom by chance? And Austin your brother / classmate of Travis? I was blessed to get to visit briefly with Austin following the memorial service; it continues to amaze me the many wonderful ways in which Travis' friends from CHFBS serve the Lord. Thank you again.