Friday, December 5, 2008

what i'm learning.

In my time with the Lord this morning I was just so struck by the lies we believe, and how destructive they can be in our daily walks.

I was telling/crying to B yesterday some of the things I had been feeling lately, that I knew just weren't good at all. I was telling him that I have just felt really purposeless lately- and am struggling to see the worth and the value of what I do. Its hard for me to put value on doing the dishes and the laundry, balancing the check book and cooking our meals. Its not something I am used to equating much worth to. Before I was married, I didn't do any of those things very often because I had things to do outside the house that I saw to be of greater value. I was hanging out w/ my little girls in Bryan or meeting someone for coffee to talk or pray. So as I hope you can see, its been kind of difficult for me to readjust my mind in this area. I have a husband now. And I never have had one of those before. I'm not used to equating a lot of purpose to loving and serving a husband. Yet, the highest calling I have on this earth in serving my God is to serve and to love him....so why are all these things floating around in my mind? Why I am doubting the significance of all that I do? As I thought about this and shared it with B, I realized what an effect these thoughts had on my daily walk. Its easy to sulk around or feel worthless when you are letting yourself believe that the things you are doing aren't of any value!
So why have these thoughts come up lately? Well one, as I said earlier-these just aren't the things I have ever put any stock in; and two- these are exactly the things I am supposed to be doing! Of course the enemy would want me doubting my value in this area!

Titus 2 instructs older women to "train young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled,pure, working at home, kind and submissive to their own husbands, that the Word of God may not be reviled"

Two of the very areas that we are to be trained in so that the God's Word is not reviled, are the very things that I was having such a hard time seeing worth in. Don't get me wrong, I love loving my husband, and I love being at home for him and taking care of things at home while he is gone, but I just don't naturally attribute much value to them. But they really are a HUGE deal. God wants us to do these things so that His word is not reviled, or despised! Thats a big deal. These are areas that I do not want to take lightly or to disregard as being enjoyable, but unimportant areas of my life. They are essential parts of the woman God is training me to be! I am not saying that a woman must stay at home all day and never leave or do anything else, but it is definitely an area to be regarded much as far as the Word of God goes.

B of course, is wonderful and is constantly reminding me of how important I am to him...I think he tells me 200 times a day that he loves me (and I wouldn't want it any other way). I love serving him and being his best friend. He serves me a lot too.

These are my musings for the day. friends, you can pray that I would really take hold of the purpose I have in being B's wife- that I would see through clear lenses God's great design and not let myself think on those lies.

6 comments:

Melodi said...

Wow. I'm so glad you shared those thoughts. I actually never had the opportunity to stay home full-time until our first children were 3 years and 1 year old, so I've always struggled to relate to first-time moms who are staying home with their baby. I've never stayed home with just one baby, so I never had to be concerned with how I filled my time, etc.

I've certainly never stayed home with no children - I honestly wouldn't know what to do! ha!

But what I DO know is the value in what you're doing, my sweet friend.

Proverbs 31:23 (New International Version)

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

Most of us are familiar with Proverbs 31, but that verse in particular is my favorite. To be respected at the city gate was a HUGE thing, and still is, although it's not at a city gate now.

When you read that entire passage in Prov. 31, it's clear WHY he is respected. His wife honors him and serves him. THAT is cool.

We couldn't serve our husbands on a daily basis like that without realizing who gives us the motivation and the deep love to do that - the Lord. There will be days when you will not FEEL like doing those things, but the motivation is the Lord.

I believe He has explained clearly to us in many passages why that is of value, but I always come back to that one verse above.

You know those times when you are so filled with love for Ben that you could burst? You can't think of any possible way to show him HOW much you love him? Well, that verse tells us how.

I love you,

Melodi

Jenn said...

thanks for being so open & honest ashley. its great, even pre-marraige, to read those thoughts and learn about/ take them captive now before i even get there.

Rebekah said...

i love you, and I love hearing your heart...keep going!

Brooke said...

your honesty is refreshing :) i'm thinking of you and i love you.

Kyndall said...

I love you sister. There is no one quite like you and the Lord loves your moldable heart. I'm thankful He unveiled the lies you were believing and I pray He will help you to retrain your thoughts to know what it is He values. You are so lovely.

(Less than 1 month :)

Caleb Peter said...

You're a true playa!