Tuesday, February 17, 2009

yummy granola bars!

I wanted to share with you guys a granola bar recipe I made today! I have always wanted to make granola bars from scratch because most of the ones I find in the stores aren't really all that healthy and the ones that are on the healthier side are usually so expensive. B loves to have them as a snack or in his lunch, so these may become a new staple for us. :)

Hope you enjoy- I really liked them!


3 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 TBSP molasses (it has lots of antioxidants!) or you could use 1/4 dark brown sugar or cane sugar
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup (I used honey)
1 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup dried cranberries, dried cherries or raisins
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

combine all ingredients and put in 9x13" pan. press down and even out. bake at 325 for about 35 min. cool completely before cutting.

6 comments:

Kyndall said...

mmm, can't wait to try them :) I wonder what the shelf life of coconut oil is. I don't know if I would use it enough right now. It probably adds a little flavor, but do you think another type of oil would also work?

Holly said...

random - I just got an email the other day about coconut oil, here's a link to some more info on it Kyndall... :)

http://articles.urbanhomemaker.com/index.php?article=959

The Carters said...

i thought of you kyndall when i was making them! all of our favorite ingredients for baking!! :)

I am thinking you could probably leave out the extra oil, maybe just use a little more butter (i have this smart balance non-hydrogenated stuff that is good and has a little less fat in it) and some more honey or something to make it stick well!

BUT i think coconut oil has a pretty stable shelf life and when you buy it at a normal grocery store it usually only comes in pretty small cans.

Laura said...

We have been making our own granola ceral as of late!! It's yummy yummy!

Brooke said...

those sound delicious. i might have to try your recipe with the other gladies :)

Christen said...

new blog address! hope you are doing good!