Friday, January 27, 2012

Burlap Bedskirt + Ruffled Duvet Cover {a preview}


On Wednesday, I decided it was time to make a new bedskirt--so although this DIY did in fact happen on a Wednesday, I am just now getting around to posting it.  I blame it on the bad lighting on Wednesday--decent pictures would have been hard to take.

Anyway, this is about the easiest DIY there is--very little explaination needed. 

I needed a new bedskirt to go with the duvet cover that I made from a tutorial I found here.

I didn't want to spend a lot of time or money on it--I've got a baby nursery to decorate for heaven's sake!  So I got the brilliant idea that I would turn to my favorite textile on God's green earth: burlap.

For less than $12 I got the 3.5 yards of burlap it would take to make a bedskirt for our bed.  I cut the burlap in half, lengthwise, giving it a width of 3.5 yards & a height of 22".  Now you could, fold, iron & hem up the burlap to make a certain statement, and with most fabrics you'd just have to give it that tailored look anyway, but with burlap, you can also just cut it & leave as is with the natural fraying--which I think gives a lovely raw look. So of course, I just left the burlap as is, unhemmed & proceeded to pull out the staple gun. 

I first cut out two small pieces of burlap for each corner of the bed frame & stapled them neatly to each corner, stapling down the top as well as the sides.  I then cut out pieces to fit the length of both sides of the bed & the foot of the bed.  Keeping in mind, that the height of the burlap remained the same, at 22".  I pinned each individual strip to it's cooresponding side, then staple  gunned away, this time only stapling at the top of the frame. 

3 sides later, and you are done.  Easy as pie.



Can you tell what my next project will be?  PILLOWS.  I am in desperate need of them. 

Oh & I am hoping to add a project to my honey's to-do list:  the headboard.  I love my framed map, but it's only a place holder right now for the fantastic headboard I know my hubby will create-he's talented like that! 

1 comment:

Holly said...

Ashley- I adore the duvet cover! Your style is killer!