Monday, November 14, 2011

Spiced Chai Tea Latte



Apparently, I am on a recipe rampage lately.  Hope you are enjoying experimenting with new things as much as I am :)  

A few days ago, I went to the local coffee shop on a mission:  to treat myself to a Chai Tea Latte.  You can imagine my disappointment and the teeny ounce of despair I felt when I arrived only to find out it was the one drink they were out of that day.  REALLY??  Well, this would not do.   I needed that Spiced Chai.  

I got home, found my friend, Google & started looking up Chai Latte recipes.

I never end up having exactly what a recipe calls for & well, there's just something in me that loves to tweak things, so off I went to make my own version of a Chai Tea Latte.

Here's what I used:

2 cups water
2 single serving bags of Chai Tea (black tea is also fine)
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. mulling spice mix (includes cloves, orange peel, cinnamon, coriander & allspice)
1/8 cup raw sugar (most recipes called for much more than this, but I found the latte to be perfectly sweet)
2 1/2 cups milk


And here's what you do:

In a saucepan, bring water, tea bags, ginger & spice mix to a boil.  Let simmer for 5 minutes until well steeped.  Add raw sugar, stirring until dissolved.  Pour in the milk & heat until teeny tiny bubbles form.  

Use a sieve to extract the mulling spices & tea bags from the Chai & pour yourself a nice warm mug of what I like to call, Christmas in Your Mouth.  
Top with whipped cream & cinnamon.  Heavenly.

2 comments:

Kelsey Flynn said...

sounds fabulous! i'll have to try that..... i actually do have all of those ingredients!!! :D

Anonymous said...

silly question: where do i find the mulled spice mix?