Friday, October 2, 2009

Helmet Fire

A comment from the one and only Josh Owen, has indeed sparked this: the second blog entry by Ben. The comment was made about the verbiage that was most likely used in the cockpit on a day to day basis. Got a little story for ya Ags.

The phase of training I just completed was Low Level navigation or "VNAVs" as it is affectionately called here at Pcola. Cliff notes about VNAVs: fly low to the ground, no instruments to help you out, have to hit certain points such as towers and buildings on course and on time. The secret to passing VNAVs: find your points and get to them on time.

After a very successful morning flight the other day, I had to pass my check ride in the afternoon. I was flying with Captain Jones this particular day. Captain Jones informed me that she would not be helping me on my check ride, that indeed she was going to be a "voice activated auto pilot." I was going to have to get to all the points within 2 miles and make it to my final point within +/- 1 minute of my predicted time of arrival. After a successful take off and enroute journey to our first point, I realized I was somewhat lost (bad way to start a check ride). I directed her to turn north along a rode I new the first point to be near. After a few minutes of not seeing a point I was expecting to see after just a few seconds..."Uhhhhh ma'am, I think we're north of point Alpha. I think we need to turn around." (Which of course we were. In the debrief she informed me that she didn't think I truly ever knew how far off course we really were.)

Josh Owen, you know me well. The Lord has been teaching me a lot about perseverance, prayer, faith, and the the importance of judging myself honestly.

9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. -

2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (English Standard Version)

www.biblegateway.com

p.s. I made it to my final point exactly 59 seconds late. I passed.




3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Ben, Praise the Lord you passed! What a story! I'm so proud of you!
I was on the edge reading your story. I was kindof scared about Helmet fire.. the Lord is so good and he is protecting you, I was just praying for you this morning! He is with you all the time..
Love, Mama Rhonda

Unknown said...

bennyboy,

thats AWESOME! I didn't really expect you would pull that line in the cockpit. but you did. with cool air force lingo like north and alpha. and ma'am.

Glad you are doing well, by the grace of God.

flying by the seat of your flightsuit, eh?

Tobin and Erin said...

We are praying for those form flights! Tobin said he thinks you will be ready for today, after your conversation on the phone last night. I believe him!

Let us know how it goes...