Monday, June 15, 2009

mmm....



blueberries.


my favorite!

but soooo expensive! I normally just buy the frozen berries because they are much cheaper than buying by the pint. But still, frozen berries can't quite recapture that fresh taste...


Well Praise the Lord-- its blueberry picking season in Florida! Yes, we even have a festival to celebrate it! And although Ben and I aren't much for festivals-they can be good people watching venues.

Its always incredible to me how they can turn something so delicious into a chocolate-dipped, fried- trans-fatty masterpiece---(appealing to Ben, not so much to me)

But anyway, we skipped out on the festival because we kind of enjoy our quiet weekends, and instead we went blueberry picking!!

I was sooo excited about it all week, I could hardly contain it! I've never picked fresh blueberries before, I've never even seen them on the blueberry bush. And did you know that there are several different kinds of blueberries?

Yep, its true... there are tiff-blue, premier, brightwell, and others that I just can't remember. I confess, I couldn't really taste the difference between most of them, I guess its an acquired skill.

So, anyway we went to this local farm called Beulah Berries & picked to our hearts content! We picked TWO WHOLE GALLONS of blueberries for $10!! I have never even dreamt of having one gallon of blueberries in my house at a given time, and now we have two!

We saved some to eat fresh & then froze the rest to make smoothies, cobblers & who knows what else with! I am in antioxidant heaven :)



4 comments:

Kyndall said...

You're so cute Ashley :)

Holly said...

antioxidant heaven... hilarious!

Rhonda said...

I love my daughter!

Tobin and Erin said...

Yay, I'm glad you went! It went so fast for us on our trip; we had 9 lbs before we knew it!

I found a blueberry muffin recipe I'm going to use, and I think I'll make some cinnnamon/blueberry pancakes. If you have a good cobbler recipe, I'd love to see it!

Have fun cooking!