Saturday, June 6, 2009

Kite Flying


Ben and I are always trying to think of something creative and fun to do on the weekends. Admittedly, I really stink at this...my reply when he asks me what I want to do is always something like, "I don't know, what do you want to do?"

Its challenging too at times to think of something we could do without spending too much money all the time.

But thankfully, I have a very creative husband, who comes up with some pretty fun ideas...and if all else fails, we always enjoy a coffee date :)

So yesterday, Ben came up with the idea to go kite flying. It never really worked much for us when we were kids. The few times I remember having a kite, I am not sure if it ever was windy enough to really lift, and then when the kite would lift, it seemed like the kite innevitably broke within the first hour.

In Pensacola, however, we have great kite flying weather--its always windy at the beach! So off to walmart we went, to pick out our kite.

It was kind of a tough job, because for some reason all the kites are in the kids section and either have a picture of hannah montana or spiderman on them. Seriously, grown ups can play with kites too!

Well anyway, we finally found a pretty gender neutral kite- it had a picture from the movie "Cars" on it, a picture w/ the girl car & the boy car, so that was perfect for us, and at $3.50, not a bad deal either.

Off we went to the beach, and to our surprise & delight, we had some great success with the kite! We got it to fly really high and even made it do tricks in the air- it was exciting, I felt like a pro :)

And if you have ever seen the movie kite runner, you know that there are some pretty intense pro kite flyers in this world. It made us want to get another kite next time, so we can fight each other's kites! - maybe I'll invest in one of those hannah montana ones next time :)




1 comment:

Tobin and Erin said...

Kite flying...what a GREAT idea! :) The beach would be so nice for that! I never would have thought of it...

As for blueberries...we picked at a place in Molino, which is only about 30 minutes away. I'm not sure what it is called, I'll have to look it up online. They are having some sort of blueberry festival either this weekend or the next, too! You should defintely go get some fresh blueberries. I'll try to remember to look that up for you.

What's this I hear about nursing??? We'll have to catch up sometime. Let us know when you all are free. Catch you later!