Monday, August 8, 2011

Pizza Pick Me Up

The Hubs has been working really hard lately & although he knows I am so proud of him & all his hard work, I felt that this week called for a little extra pick me up. Being that all you really want to do after a long hard day at work is crash, I opted to keep it real at home, but planned some yummy dinners that I knew would make his heart happy.  One of the sure ways to a man's heart is food.  I am certain of it.

One of the faves during this week of fun hubby food, was Pizza.  
I'm not gonna lie, that one was not just for him, I loooove me some good homemade pizza.
Look at this delicousness...sooo good.

Now that I have hopefully whetted your appetite, the recipe!

Dough (makes 2 large thin crusts)

1 1/3 cup warm water
1 tsp. honey
2 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. EVOO
2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/4 tsp. dry active yeast
Preheat oven to 425*F

Directions:  (this is where I totally cheat & use the bread machine)   BUT if you don't have a bread machine, you would first combine water, honey & yeast.  Let sit about 5 minutes until bubbly.  Combine flour & sea salt in a bowl, add yeast mixture & olive oil.  Mix thoroughly & knead dough well.  Cover with a damp cloth & let the dough sit in a warm place for about an hour.  Punch dough down, separate into two balls & roll flat onto pizza sheets. 
Before putting the dough in the oven, I like to spread it with a little bit of EVOO & sprinkle garlic powder & thyme or rosemary on it.  Once the dough is seasoned, place in oven for 10 minutes.

Toppings:

Heirloom tomatoes (thinly sliced)
Mozzarella (very thinly sliced)
Basil

Remove dough from oven, arrange tomatoes & mozzarella on pizza & top with basil, fresh is best, but you can definitely use a generous amount of dried basil also.
Return Pizza to oven for 15 min or until cheese begins to brown a little.  
& if you are like us & like a little spice, top with red pepper flakes & Enjoy!

And that's how we made life a little lovelier this week! :)  




1 comment:

Kel said...

I love making homemade pizza!! such a great dish