Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Low Fat Decadent Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake


While my family was here, I had to take them to one of my favorite places in town, a local flea market, where you can find me burrowing around most days of the week.  It's addicting. I may or may not have gotten my neighbor hooked also so we may be calling for some intervention soon.

On to the real excitement, while scavenging, I came upon this really neat Lincoln Beautyware Cake Tin.     


Awesome, right?  And perfect for our kitchen which bleeds right into our living & dining room, so everything can be all matchy matchy & happy together.

Being that I found this lovely, I had to make cake.  Right away.

My cake pictures are not that pretty, but trust me & the 4 other witnesses who ate it.  It was delish.  
Ben has already decided it will become his new birthday cake.

The best part?  No butter or oil & you can't even tell!

Ok, so here goes it.

What you'll need:

1cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup raw sugar
6 TBSP cocoa *unsweetened or dark chocolate
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 egg
1 cup frozen cool whip, thawed
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces



How to make:
Preheat oven to 350* Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
In a blender combine water, egg & blueberries. Add mixture to the flour mix. Whisk until combined. Pour into a greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Bake for 30 min. or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Mine took closer to 40 min. to be done, so just check often. Cool completely on a wire rack. Invert onto serving platter.
G some chocolate shavings for 
Whip the softened cream cheese & cool whip in a bowl until smooth.  Microwave chocolate chips at 50% for 30 seconds or until melted.  Mix melted chips with whipped frosting & chill.  Once cake is completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.  
Garnish with chocolate shavings for good measure.  And if you're like my dad you'll want to toss a few chocolate chips on top.  And done!  



Super easy, extremely tasty & a much healthier alternative to the typical chocolate cake. 


Oh & just for the fun of it, I found these bad boys on the same day I found my cake tin.  Also, Lincoln Beautyware.  It was a winning day for me at the thrift store (and in the kitchen).

2 comments:

Jacki Morris said...

We never get these exciting wonders coming into our Thrift Store.

Holly said...

I agree... addicting.

"what will my next treasure be??!"