Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Favorite things of the week (so far)


---Finding out that some of our good friends from church and their two little munchkins will be moving into our apartment complex in less than a month, and will be living two stories below us!
So excited!




---Making Homemade Hamburger buns & having your husband say, "these are the best homemade hamburgers I've ever had". Success.



---First hopeful attempts at making sourdough starter yeast. I will like this stuff even more if it makes me some good Sourdough bread!



---New fabric = New creations :)






And now for the not so favorite part of this week.

Our beautiful orchid is dying.

You may remember this:


Well, now it looks like this:



sad :(

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I don't know if you've tried this... but orchids are tropical plants and actual need almost no water and very humid conditions... Try not watering it and letting it hang out in your bathroom for a while. The humidity from hot showers should help it out.

I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot if it's already going downhill :)

By the way, you have excellent taste in pretty much everything!

Also, what burger bun recipe are you using? I've made one before that turned out decent, but not the best.

The Carters said...

Rachel! Thanks so much for the orchid tip, we may have to try that! I really don't know much about orchids, but I was noticing that it wasn't wanting a whole lot of water.

This is the burger bun recipe I used, its for a bread maker, but you can easily do it by hand too. you would just treat it like normal dough and let it rise a couple of times for about 45 min each. I used this because Ben is not super into whole wheat, but I am sure you could tweak it a bit to use different types of flour. I think next time I will put sesame seeds on top too!
http://www.recipezaar.com/Homemade-Hamburger-Buns-Bread-Machine-80413

Kyndall said...

So I asked a friend who has an orchid how to revive it. He said, try moving around to different parts of the house to find where it likes to be best. And don't over water it. He said their orchid likes their bedroom where it can get some morning sun through the windows.

Don't give up on it yet ;)

Kyndall said...

I like those little bowls next to your August Fields pillow :) They look like anthropologie. Are they?

The Carters said...

Thanks Kyndall! and yes, the bowls are anthro ;)