Tuesday, February 22, 2011

affordable & natural cleaning

credit


I am not much of a deep cleaner by my own free will {more of the surface type}, but a move always gets my booty into gear in this area.  With having to prep for move out inspections & having to get everything just-so in a new home, there is just no way to avoid the cleaning.  This time around I have tried to embrace it heartily by finding excitement in making my own cleaning supplies from normal household products.  There are few things in life that get me more excited than saving money & being resourceful!

Here's a few of the cleaning recipes that I have been using.




{All Purpose Cleaner}*

1 cup hot water
1 cup white vinegar (try to get at least 7% acidity)
2 TBSP castile soap (I use dr. bronners)**

Combine in spray bottle

* Advice:  add a few drops of essential oil to the mix because "vinegar-y" is not exactly the clean home smell you are probably going for.

**Castile soap gives you extra cleaning power, it can be somewhat pricey (in terms of a cleaning supply) but considering that you only use a 1-2 TBSP per spray bottle the dollars go a loooong way!

{Windows}

Full strength club soda

Pour into spray bottle, spray & wipe with a cloth or with newspaper.

{Wood}


1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil

Mix together & pour onto dry cloth, rub into wood (a second cloth may be needed to wipe up excess oil).

{Abrasive}

1 part baking soda to 1 part salt (coarse)

Good for using on "problem" areas like rust or stuck on messes that won't clean up with the all purpose cleaner. Rub onto problem area & spray with full strength vinegar.  Allow to sit for a minute, then wipe up.


I am still working on making a good laundry detergent (not sure what will work with a HE washer)..suggestions?

2 comments:

ClareMarie said...

yay I love more natural and cheap cleaning! Thanks for your recipes Ash. :-)

Jen said...

Excellent cleaning products... I love home made just for the shear fact that there aren't any harsh chemicals! Good job!