Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Salad to Share



I don't know if it's the start of a new year or just coincidence, but Ben & I have really been working hard to eat more healthfully the past few weeks.  I know that most of you know that I am already a pretty health conscious girl.  I am not easily tempted by french fries, bacon or cream pie, but it's still so easy to not get enough fruits & veggies in your diet--that's something I have to intentionally work at!

So with that said, one way Ben & I are doing that is by eating more fruits & nuts in the morning.  We buy a variety each week and alternate them throughout the week, serving them with a small bowl of cereal or some whole grain carb.  We learned recently that what you eat in the morning is what you crave more of later in the day.  So when you carb load in the morning with a sugary bowl of fruit loops, you will crave sugary carb loaded foods later in the day.  By eating the fruit & nuts we are trying to train ourselves to crave more of those types of food throughout the day!

Another thing I have been doing, is serving a small side salad with our dinners.  Its a great way to add a variety of veggies & even fruit to your meal!

We tried out a new recipe recently (pictured above) and LOVED it so I thought I would share it with you today.

I threw this together with things in our fridge, so it can easily be changed to your liking!

Pomegranate Spinach Salad (1 serving):

2 handfuls of spinach
2 TBSP pomegranate seeds
2 TBSP blue cheese, crumbled
2 TBSP avocado, diced
handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
a shake of salt & pepper
balsamic vinaigrette dressing, tossed in with the salad

Combine all ingredients & serve!

2 comments:

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

ok... i admit... I HAD to laugh at your statement about working hard to eat more healthfully.

I was thinking to myself, how could Ashley Carter work harder to eat more healthy? [don't think it's possible] ... then I read your next sentence. about breakfast and cravings and such. and it makes sense. The more sugar I eat the more I crave, the less I eat, the less I crave. So it would make sense that if I have it for breakfast - like a donut or whatever - that I would be wanting something else to satisfy my sweet tooth.

hmm.

you have given me something to ponder.
the end.