Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Blueberry Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Cookies


Yay for another recipe involving blueberries and dark chocolate!
Obviously, I don't like to branch out too much :)

But this time the recipe is my own, and I have to say, they are pretty scrumptious.  
The great thing about these cookies is that they can function as a healthful dessert option, but also in place of a breakfast muffin or a mid-day snack--very versatile.
 My in house taste tester (ben) has approved these as well, so without further adieu, 

Blueberry Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Cookies

1/4 cup coconut oil*
1/4 cup raw honey
1 egg
2 TBSP. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350*F.  In a large bowl whisk together: coconut oil, honey, egg, water and vanilla until well blended.  In a separate, smaller bowl mix together the flour, oats and cinnamon (you can also add some flax or nuts here if you desire---I didn't have any on hand).  Slowly, add the flour mixture to the oil mixture stirring until well combined.  Add the dark chocolate and blueberries (if frozen, there is no need to thaw).
Drop dough, 2 TBSP at a time onto a non-stick or greased baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until  done & lightly browned on the bottom.  

*Coconut oil can be found at Walmart or at most grocery stores  or health food stores in the section with your other oils (canola, EVOO, etc...)  I buy my coconut oil at Walmart--so far it has been the most reasonably priced that I have found.  Coconut oil is a great substitute for butter, canola oil or lard as it is semi-solid (like butter or lard) in its natural form, but can also be melted to be used as canola oil (or other vegetable oils) would be used.  Coconut oil is rich in nutrients and research has shown that it has many health benefits.  To find out more about coconut oil, click here.




2 comments:

Kyndall said...

oh yum! I can't wait to try these little goodies :)

Rachel said...

Another great recipe to try!

And thanks for sharing on the benefits of coconut oil- it's a a product that's often overlooked and I think people are really missing out on this healthy fat! I use it all the time!!

I get mine in gallon buckets from Mountain Rose Herbs. A gallon of unrefined and refined, all organic. I think they're reasonably priced, too, especially for bulk use.